If you are looking to buy a shipping container for one of a range of purposes, freight containers are a standard size, which meet the regulations required for them to be used in shipping freight. This doesn’t mean just being strong and robust enough to withstand rough sea, but also being the correct size and shape to be easily stacked, transported and transferred between different forms of transportation.
In complying with these regulations, freight containers are also ideal for many other uses such as homes, offices or storage containers that are stackable, spaces which are robust and can withstand adverse weather conditions, can be easily decorated and customised, as well as being mobile and movable.
Being a standard rectangle shape, which can vary in size from 10ft to 40ft long, freight containers are enabled to be fitted properly into the storage area of freight ships and easily transferred to other transport when it reaches its destination.
Freight containers must comply with the ISO (International Standards Organisation) regulations. ISO 668:1995(E) stipulate that a freight shipping container must:
- Be strong enough to withstand multiple uses as well as being of a permanent character
- Be designed specifically for the easy transportation of goods by one or more modes of transport without the need for reloading
- Be fitted with the equipment needed for the easy transfer between different modes of transport
- Be easy to fill up and empty
- Be stackable
- Have a volume of the interior of at least 1 cubic metre
Freight containers and suitability for other uses
Freight containers are being increasingly used for other purposes in addition to the carriage of freight. Whether you are using a new freight container or are re-using one, there are a number of characteristics that can make it a particularly suitable option.
- Their regular shape and sizes mean that they can easily be stacked on top of or next to each other, meaning that you can create a structure of any size and add to it if necessary.
- They are completely empty, meaning that you can fully customise your freight container, adding features such as power, water, heating, lighting, bathrooms, plug sockets, internet, furniture, doors and windows.
- They are robust and can withstand a range of weather conditions. Depending on how they are cared for, your freight container can last for many years.
- If you are looking for a portable space which can be moved easily – a pop-up shop or exhibition stand for instance – freight containers are suitable for this.
- They offer a blank yet functional foundation from which you can build a striking, modern container space solution that meets your specific needs.
In summary, whether you are looking to transport, store or customise a container, a freight container is a great choice. It gives you the opportunity to create the exact kind of space to meet your needs while ensuring structural integrity and resilience – they’re also often a lot more cost-effective than renting space.
Having never ordered a shipping container before Scott couldn't be more helpful…or patient! The ordering process was easy, even for me and the communications were first class. Charlotte was very attentive and professional when it came to confirming delivery details. The container arrived as expected, when expected. The entire process from quote to delivery was flawless. Our newly painted container now proudly sits, waiting to be loaded! Thank you all.
The staff at S Jones containers are extremely efficient, friendly and helpful. We have ordered a number of containers from them and on every occasion their service has been excellent. Their containers are competitively priced and the quality of the conversion into self storage units if of high quality
Friendly and helpful service , despite us being new customers and only every likely to place one order with them.