Skip to content

Do I Need Planning Permission to Have a Modular Building on My Property?

Modular buildings are extremely useful structures that can be used in a diverse range of transportation and storage applications. Increasing numbers of homeowners and businesses are also converting units into temporary structures such as offices, living spaces, workshops, or specialist stockpile units. Converting these is greener and more budget-friendly than other building options. They are also made from highly durable materials as they are designed to transport heavy cargo thousands of miles across the globe. This makes them the ideal solution when looking for a secure and reliable structure for your property. A conversion should withstand wear and tear and remain in excellent condition for many years. Another attractive benefit is that you can have the module customised to your exact specifications and design preferences.

Our units can be installed quickly on your property with the help of a professional conversion company. The good news is that planning permission is often not required when you install one on your property. However, there are some exceptions to this rule which we will discuss below.

When is planning permission required?

In the UK, modules are classed as temporary structures which means they are exempt from planning permission requirements. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. For example, you may need to apply for planning permission if you plan on living in a converted building or intend on using a this as a permanent workspace. You may also require planning permission if it is located in an area of outstanding natural beauty or next to a listed property. With that in mind, it is always advisable to check with your local planning authority (LPA) in advance of ordering a container. You can find your LPA by clicking here.

What circumstances don’t require permission?

There are some circumstances when planning permissions are not required. We are going to outline some examples below, but please note that there is no guarantee that you won’t require planning permission. Special circumstances may apply, so we always advise that you contact your LPA for confirmation before ordering a shipping container.

  • Garden – with installation in your garden, then you won’t usually require planning permission. Nevertheless, rules must be followed, i.e., the unit cannot take up more than half the area of land surrounding the original property.
  • Business – Businesses can create temporary structures such as exhibits or alfresco bars without the need to apply for planning permission. However, permission may be required if you intend on launching a long-term or permanent pop-up application based business.
  • Farmland – Planning permission is not typically required for these to be installed on farmland. Although, you may need to apply for planning permission if the use of the land changes to residential.

What building regulations must I comply with?

They must comply with building regulations if you plan on living in it or using it as a working space. For instance, you must be able to demonstrate that your conversion complies with building safety requirements such as fire regulations. The easiest way to ensure that you have complied with the relevant building regulations is by hiring a certified company to install and convert your module.

Ensure that your pop-up application is compliant

These are a quick and affordable way to add extra space to your property. They can easily be converted into a functional living or working space with the assistance of a specialist conversion company. Generally speaking, planning permission is not required for temporary structures. That being said, there are some exceptions to this rule, and you may need to apply for planning permission in certain situations. You will also need to ensure that you comply with the relevant local building regulations in your area.

We can provide a wide range of container solutions to suit your needs, whether it be for hire, for sale or a conversion.

Call free on
0800 1954 538