It might be that your school is expanding at a rate of knots, or that you are looking to spread a cramped classroom into extra space, but sometimes all schools need to create more space for workshops and modular classrooms.
Portable school workshops can be useful not only because they will satisfy a need, but they can also be moved to other places where they are needed once that they have served their purpose in one position. They can also be stored and used whenever they are needed, which is an excellent resource for schools to have.
Using Converted Shipping Containers for Portable School Workshops
An excellent option for creating portable school workshops is to convert a new or used shipping container. There are several reasons why these are preferable to other options:
- They can be moved around to anywhere that is required
- They are heavy-duty and robust, able to withstand harsh weather conditions while protecting their contents and the people inside
- They can adhere to all fire regulations
- They can be made quickly, off-site, with no disruption to other school activities
- They can be fully customised to the size, layout and interior design that you require
Converting your Shipping Container to a Portable School Workshop
When you are converting a shipping container into a modular school building, there are a number of factors that you should consider in your design, especially to make it suitable for use in a school:
Size and Layout
One of the beauties of using shipping containers is that they are available in a range of different sizes. This means that you can find the perfect size for you. Shipping containers generally are available in:
- 10ft (floor area 72ft²)
- 20ft (floor area 150ft²)
- 40ft (floor area 305ft²)
They can also be found with higher sides, making the room more spacious and airy if you require it.
Another advantage of using shipping containers to construct a modular building is that they can be used like building blocks. They can literally be piled on top of each other or joined side-by-side to give you exactly the size and shape space that is best for you.
The layout of your portable shipping container workshop can be designed and visualised with the help of a design team and Computer-Aided Technology – or CAD. The majority of the manufacturing can then be carried out in a workshop and then the building delivered to the site almost really to go.
Suitable for Occupation
When a shipping container is being converted into a modular building, it is important that it is suitable for occupation by people, and this is even more important when you are using it for children. There are several ways that you can convert your shipping container(s) to make them suitable for a portable workshop in a school, including:
- The addition of a wall, floor and ceiling lining to help insulate the workshop, as well as help with fireproofing, and provide a base for shelving to be attached to
- Windows and personnel doors should be added to allow in plenty of natural light and also make access easy
- Lighting and energy should be fitted as well as water, if required. School-friendly toilets are also an option
- Ramps can be added for wheelchair access, as well as ease in moving in furniture such as desks or worktops or machinery
Once you have your basic shipping container portable workshop ready, you can think about its decoration; what do you need on the walls, what space do you need for furniture, do you need racking and how you would like it to be painted, for example.
A shipping container is the ideal solution to solving your portable school workshop challenges as they are flexible, durable and can be securely locked when they are not in use. They are portable, yet robust, and can be fitted with all of the specifics that are needed to create the perfect learning environment.