The COVID-19 pandemic has had massive effects on everything that we do and how we live our lives. But one of the industries that have suffered the most is the entertainment industry – especially theatres and other live entertainment venues.
One of the biggest problems with the pandemic is that we don’t really know what the future holds. It can be difficult to know when theatres will be able to ‘open normally’ again, so more and more people are looking into ways that they can reinvent their theatres.
One option is to lower capacities and utilise outdoor areas where COVID is less likely to spread. Creating a child-friendly space allows you to have young audiences and even become mobile, visiting schools. You can do this by buying a container and turning it into a mini theatre.
Why Convert a Shipping Container?
There are several reasons why you might wish to choose to convert a shipping container into your theatre:
- Providing that there is a solid base to place it on top of, you can take your shipping container (theatre) anywhere. This means that it is a great option for taking to schools or events with ease.
- Your shipping container building can be as large as you like. We have a selection of different sized containers – 10ft, 20ft, and 40ft – but these can also be joined together like huge building blocks to create a larger space.
- Regardless of whether you are converting a ‘new’ or used shipping container, you are essentially upcycling something that could otherwise be going to the landfill. This means that it is an eco-friendly option as you give that old shipping container a new lease of life.
- Compared to buying or renting a theatre or adapting an existing space, a converted shipping container is a cost-effective way of creating a mini-theatre.
- Shipping containers are made of steel and have been designed and built to withstand the harsh weather of the seven seas. This means that they are strong and robust as well as secure.
- The very nature of shipping containers gives you a great deal of flexibility around their design.
Converting a Shipping Container into a Theatre
If you are thinking about modifying a shipping container to create a theatre that is suitable for children, you have a huge amount of versatility in its design. This can be especially effective if you are planning on incorporating the outside into your idea.
Shipping containers could be used to house the stage, as a viewing platform – or both.
The first step of the process would be to consult with our specialist design team who will be able to help you to put your ideas down onto paper, creating a blueprint for our fabrication team to work from. You will also be given your own dedicated account manager to help see the process through.
Our design team can use computer-aided design software to be able to work simultaneously and help you to envisage how your container will look. We love making bespoke container conversions, but also have some standard details that can be added. These include:
- Electricity and lighting – essential for stage lighting and microphones
- The installation of in-built racking for storage
- Personnel doors and windows to view the performances
- Ramps for wheelchair access and deliveries
- Wall and ceiling linings for aesthetic as well as insulating reasons
Once that you have designed your theatre, our fabrication team will then turn it into life. When it is completed, we will deliver it to your site and you can add the finishing touches.
Creating a shipping container theatre is an excellent way to be able to continue functioning as a theatre either if you can’t open yours, or indeed, have found rental or mortgage payments too much during the pandemic. They give you versatility over design, as well as being eco-friendly, cost-effective, and the ability to move between different locations.